This project is a joint venture between Paisley St George’s Outreach Centre (formerly Glenburn Parish Church) and The Urban Historian to gather the social history of the Glenburn area of Paisley. In addition it is hoped to tell the story of industry, the churches and recreation in the area. The gathering of photographs and personal memories will be a major part of the project.
For the purposes of the project the area under consideration runs from the Glennifer/ Brownside Braes, down the west side of Caplethill Rd/ Neilston Rd, along the south side of Falside Rd into the east side of Park Road to Donaldswood Rd, and the east side of Gleniffer Rd.
Glenburn Parish Church
Glenburn Parish Church opened for worship in 1955 in the originally hall church which is now used as the halls. But its history goes back much further.
In 1877 the Abbey began holding weekly services in what was then the Nethercraigs School at the foot of the Glennifer Braes. Worship continued there until 1950 when a purpose built wooden church was built in the the modern housing estate. This wooden building was used for a few years until the Presbytery of Paisley decided that the congregation of George St Church on the corner of Barr Place should move to Glenburn to establish a new parish covering the new housing estate. George St Church was demolished in 1955 when the Hal Church of Glenburn opened.
In 1962 with the growth of the estate the hall church proved to small and the current church was opened with its dominating tower.
Throughout the congregations life we have played a big part in the life of many residents of Glenburn, be it through the Boys Brigade, Girls Brigade, Scouts or Guides, the Sunday School, Mens Club, Womans Guild or the Golden Age and many other groups that have met within the halls over the years.
On the 15th April 2021, Glenburn Parish & Stow Brae Kirk united to form Paisley St George’s Church, retaining both sets of buildings, serving the town centre of Paisley and Glenburn.
The Urban Historian
Stephen, The Urban Historian provides research services along with historical talks and heritage walks in Paisley and Renfrewshire. He has a background in IT, archaeology and Scottish history along with experience of museum and heritage work.